Yes, I'm a pastor's wife, but I suspect not all of my readers are Christian. I won't hold back on my beliefs, but I also won't shove religion at you. I try not to accept things just because they're told to me but read and research in order to make up my own mind. You'll find a random mix of stuff here, depending on what interests me at the moment. I like to read others' opinions, whether they agree with me or not, which means I love comments on my posts!

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sinners in Church

 
 
I heard about a conversation recently of a woman who is undergoing a divorce. She doesn't want to go back to church right now because she's afraid people will see her as a hypocrite.
 
The biggest problem I have with that statement is that she's right. People will likely see her as a hypocrite. How often do we hear (or say...) "How can they go to church when they do that?"

It seems we have it backwards. In Mark 2:17, Jesus told the Pharisees "Healthy people do not need a doctor--sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners." I imagine a divorce is an incredibly difficult thing, especially for a Christian who believes it's not what God had planned for her. This is the time when she needs Jesus and the support of her Christian brothers and sisters the most. Healthy and supposedly righteous people don't need Christ. Sinners do (and we're all sinners).

If she goes back to church soon, she'll most likely attend with her head high as if nothing is wrong. The guilt and pain of the divorce will not be obvious, reinforcing the idea of a "hypocrite," of someone who follows Christ without acknowledgement of their own sin. It's what we as fellow church-goers force her to do when we talk behind her back or judge her.

Judgment isn't what she needs. Neither are sly glances or whispers of her sinful past. We are called to love, which is the one thing she needs.

No comments: