Yes, I'm a pastor's wife, but I suspect not all of my readers are Christian. I won't hold back on my beliefs, but I also won't shove religion at you. I try not to accept things just because they're told to me but read and research in order to make up my own mind. You'll find a random mix of stuff here, depending on what interests me at the moment. I like to read others' opinions, whether they agree with me or not, which means I love comments on my posts!

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Menu Planning 9/23/2013

I was really starting to feel better, and then I messed up. I figured one little bite of junk wouldn’t hurt me. But one bite led to another and another, and I realized again that I have no self-control when it comes to sweets and bready foods. Then I felt the consequences and remembered why I had decided to eat healthier in the first place.

The junk food in my home is synonymous with convenience food -- processed granola bars, cereals, cookies, etc. The things I can grab-n-go without dirtying any dishes. They were too tempting so I gave them away. It was weird looking at my pantry after that; there was no “food,” only ingredients.
I know myself well enough to know the only way I’ll stick to this is to make a plan – to figure out ahead of time how in the world I’m going to put these random ingredients together. My goal this week is to go heavier on the vegetables, moderate on the meats and fruits, and very little grains or sugar.


Breakfast
Green smoothies
Fruit salad - fresh fruit over spinach, with honey pineapple glaze
Sweet potato hash - I haven't decided how I want to do this yet. Maybe Maple Sweet Potato Hash from Iowa Girl Eats or something more savory like this Paleo Sweet Potato Hash with Kale from The Paleo Pathway.

Lunch
Salad with a side of watermelon
Tuna salad on lettuce (except I've never tried dill weed in it like the recipe calls for)

Snacks, just in case
Carrots w/ hummus
Fresh figs with nut butter

Dinner
--Veggie soup x3
--Cauliflower pizza bites
--Baked fish topped with butter, minced garlic, dried basil, and diced tomatoes. Fried squash and steamed broccoli on the side
--Spaghetti squash with roasted vegetable ragout from First Day of the Rest of Days (if I get a new squash)
We have a late family lunch on Sunday with my in-laws, so I usually don't prepare dinner for then. Leftovers or sandwiches will suffice. 

I’m scheduled to be at work at 6:00 AM. I don’t do well trying to prepare breakfast and lunch that early in the morning, so I’m going to prep as much as I can in advance. Preferably today.

Today’s Prep List
1. Make smoothie. Put some in fridge for tomorrow, and freeze the rest in individual servings. To thaw, I’ll put one in the fridge the night before I want it.
2. Dice tomatoes and carrots for salads
3. Make homemade Italian dressing for salads
4. Cook vegetable soup
5. Roast spaghetti squash – I was ready to do this but got a nasty surprise when I cut it open. It looked fine on the outside but had rotted straight across the middle on the inside. And it stunk!

Have you planned a menu for this week? What are typical meals for you? And do you make it a habit to prep food in advance?

Check out OrgJunkie's Menu Plan Monday for more menu ideas and organization tips.

No comments: