Yes, I'm a pastor's wife, but I suspect not all of my readers are Christian. I won't hold back on my beliefs, but I also won't shove religion at you. I try not to accept things just because they're told to me but read and research in order to make up my own mind. You'll find a random mix of stuff here, depending on what interests me at the moment. I like to read others' opinions, whether they agree with me or not, which means I love comments on my posts!

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fruit Salad with Pineapple Honey Glaze

I posted it in my weekly menu but never got around to making it. I've stuck with smoothies instead since I have plenty of frozen fruit but very little fresh fruit in my kitchen right now. During the spring and summer, when fresh fruit is abundant, this fruit salad is my go-to dish to bring to potlucks and family dinners, though I usually skip the spinach and place it with the desserts when I'm taking it to other people.

The recipe is very versatile, so you can add or remove almost any fruit that you want. Grapes and blueberries are sweet additions. For a good presentation, try to include a variety of colors.


1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tbsp honey
1 orange
1 apple
1/2 lb strawberries (~2 c)
1 kiwi, peeled
1 banana
1/4 of a whole pineapple, peeled and cored
1/4 c chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, or walnuts)
Spinach

In a large bowl, whisk together the pineapple juice and honey until combined.
Dice the fruit into bite-sized pieces. Toss all of the fruit into the pineapple mixture. Note: The apple and banana need to be tossed with the juice immediately after cutting to avoid browning.
Add nuts and gently stir.

Serve over spinach. I didn't include an amount for the spinach because it seems everyone wants a different amount with the fruit. Some people love the taste of greens and others drown it with the fruit.

It's best served the same day, especially if using strawberries, as they tend to color the other fruits red.

This post is linked to Wonderful Food Wednesdays at Mom's Test Kitchen

No comments: