Yes, I'm a pastor's wife, but I suspect not all of my readers are Christian. I won't hold back on my beliefs, but I also won't shove religion at you. I try not to accept things just because they're told to me but read and research in order to make up my own mind. You'll find a random mix of stuff here, depending on what interests me at the moment. I like to read others' opinions, whether they agree with me or not, which means I love comments on my posts!

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Joyful Living - Beautiful Creations

I just recently got back from a Spiritual Retreat in the mountains where there was beautiful scenery, comfortable weather, and serene quietness. The rooms had no TVs and my cell phone had no reception. I just want to say...it was nice!

I've been battling with depression on and off for quite a few months. It was nice to have a peaceful, relaxing break from it in the mountains, and it got me thinking a lot about joy. I used to wear a bracelet all the time that read "joyful." It was my reminder that we can always be joyful with the Lord, even when we're not happy. Happiness is a feeling--an emotion that comes and goes--but we can choose to be joyful.

Psalm 4:7 says "You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine."

I want that...joy that surpasses all logic. I had that kind of joy in the mountains when I wrote this in my notebook: God says we're His bride, and He will rejoice over us as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride (Isaiah 62:5). It's thrilling how the places He made--the mountains and beaches, forests and creeks--can also be the most romantic. He woos His bride every day with starry nights, sunrises and sunsets.

Today I will appreciate something beautiful that God created...a late-blooming rose, the sunset, the starry night sky, red and yellow leaves as they change colors. He didn't have to make things visually appealing, but He did it for the joy of seeing it. I will joyfully see the beauty today! How about you?


That's the view I had a few days ago. *Sigh*

This post is also linked to Homemaker in Heels.


2 comments:

Katharine said...

A retreat like that sound(and looks) wonderful! So glad you were able to go! Just popping in from Company Girls..
Have a wonderful weekend!

joyceandnorm said...

It sounds like the retreat was definitely something you needed. I'm glad you got to get away from the usual things of life to get a focus on being joyful. It is something that we all need to be reminded about in the midst of the daily struggles. Thank you for sharing the verses too. Said a prayer for you.