Yes, I'm a pastor's wife, but I suspect not all of my readers are Christian. I won't hold back on my beliefs, but I also won't shove religion at you. I try not to accept things just because they're told to me but read and research in order to make up my own mind. You'll find a random mix of stuff here, depending on what interests me at the moment. I like to read others' opinions, whether they agree with me or not, which means I love comments on my posts!

Monday, September 26, 2011

Fundraiser Success

A couple of weeks ago, we had a yard sale/breakfast/car wash as a fundraiser for the youth group. We have plans to attend a conference in February and need at least $2000 for it. When DH told me this number, I said “Huh? How much?!” We’re a small church, and $2000 is certainly not pocket change. But I know this conference is a great opportunity for our youth, especially for them to grow spiritually. Because of that, I know God will provide, but we’ll have to put in some work as well.

Yard Sale: Tables were set up outdoors for church members who wanted to rent tables. We rented by donation and collected the money at the end of the sale. This way, people who didn’t sale much wouldn’t feel gyped with the table price, and people who sold lots felt like they could donate more. It was a win-win for all of us.

Tables were also set up indoors (in the social hall) for items that were donated to us. All of the proceeds went directly to the youth. Price tags were on everything so the youth could help sell items without constantly asking the adults “how much for this?” We kept prices low with the intention of selling plenty of it rather than carting so much off later. (Whatever was left after the sale was donated).

Breakfast: Bacon or sausage links, grits (with optional cheese), biscuits and jelly, and scrambled eggs. Drink options were coffee (regular or decaf), orange juice, or milk. We charged $5 per plate, making each item $1 a piece. The local Ryan’s donated creamer, jelly, and honey butter.

The bacon and biscuits took the longest, so we were cooking about an hour before breakfast was to be started. Thankfully, there’s a warmer in the church kitchen. Notes to self: Stir grits often and add water occasionally to prevent them from clumping or drying out. Next time, buy more bacon and less sausage. Very few people requested sausage. Overall, the food must have been great because we got lots of compliments on it and sold almost everything.

We also had a small Bake Sale table which was a huge success with the lunch-time crowd. Brownies, cupcakes, cookies...YUM.

Car Wash: This was a last-minute decision when DH and I were brainstorming ideas to keep the youth busy during the sale. There is only so much help that is needed in the kitchen or to sell items. We decided to turn it into a service project (and maybe bring in more customers) by advertising a free car wash. Surprisingly, lots of people came into the social hall to donate $5, $10, or even $20 for the car wash.

The event was scheduled for 8:00 am – 1:00 pm. I won’t give an exact amount that was made, but I will say it was successful. God went above and beyond what I was expecting from it, and we’re all incredibly thankful for the support and donations from the church members and community. Hopefully, the auction in December will raise the rest of the money for our trip.

No comments: