Yes, I'm a pastor's wife, but I suspect not all of my readers are Christian. I won't hold back on my beliefs, but I also won't shove religion at you. I try not to accept things just because they're told to me but read and research in order to make up my own mind. You'll find a random mix of stuff here, depending on what interests me at the moment. I like to read others' opinions, whether they agree with me or not, which means I love comments on my posts!

Friday, October 3, 2008

Church Experience: Stolen Cellphone

My husband held a lock-in for the youth at church. We had 27 attending, ranging in age from 11 to 18.  He was taking many of them to the high school football game before going to the church, and he brought around 10 to our house to hang out before the game. I love company, so that was fine. It was fine, at least, until after they left -- when I realized I couldn't find my cell phone. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but it was getting harder and harder. I called my phone and it went straight to voicemail, as if it had been shut off. I thought "Ok. These kids were already talking about how they could prank me tonight, so they probably just turned the phone off and hid it in the house." My husband questioned those at the game with no luck. They claimed it was on the table when they left. Some other things had happened that evening which had already put me in a bad mood, so my phone was the last straw. I was angry and was about to stay up all night with these teenagers. I made it through with lots of prayer.
In the end, no one returned my cell and I switched my number to my husband's old beatup phone. I was still rather angry. We had sacrificed that entire night for them. I even made brownies and cookies! And one of them disregarded everything we had done and decided to steal my cellphone. I was thinking about that in church Sunday after the lock-in when my husband leaned over and whispered, "You know...we gave all of our possessions over to God. So that means he didn't really steal from us. He stole from God!"
Of course! It's like a light went off in my head and a burden was lifted off my shoulders. How could I be so angry and let it ruin my weekend? I HAD given my possessions over to God. And God still provided for us...my husband just happened to still have his old phone which works GREAT for me despite it's physical beat-up appearance. He told me after church that he wasn't sure why he had told me that then. I let him know it was the perfect thing to say because of the sourness of my thoughts. And we knew...it was a God thing.

No comments: