Yes, I'm a pastor's wife, but I suspect not all of my readers are Christian. I won't hold back on my beliefs, but I also won't shove religion at you. I try not to accept things just because they're told to me but read and research in order to make up my own mind. You'll find a random mix of stuff here, depending on what interests me at the moment. I like to read others' opinions, whether they agree with me or not, which means I love comments on my posts!

Monday, September 8, 2008

Welcome to I Married a Pastor!


For my first post, I'd like to introduce myself. I got married May 31, 2008 to an amazing man who happens to be a youth pastor. He is already an ordained minister but wants to wait another year or 2 before he pastors a church. He says "I want us to enjoy each other and make a strong foundation for our marriage before we add the pressures of pastoring a church." Sounds like a good plan to me! But there are still plenty of pressures as a youth pastor's wife, especially when I know it won't be too much longer before he is over a church.

I consider myself a Bapticostal. I was raised Baptist but quit going to church at the start of middle school. I was still a Christian and believed in God but felt like Church didn't have anything to offer me. Basically, I was completely self-absorbed and wanted to control my own life. My senior year of high school, a friend invited me to a Pentecostal church (specifically, Church of God of Prophecy). I encountered people speaking in tongues, falling in the floor, running the aisles, and dancing around. I even got hit a couple of times from people slinging their arms. I was out of my comfort zone...but at least I wasn't bored!

I moved away for college a few months later and attended church during most holiday breaks when I came home. I never "found the time" to find a home church at college and was too lazy to wake up early on Sundays. The summer after my junior year, I came home and went back to church like I did during previous summers. A friend invited her cousin to church one day in order to introduce us. He was a youth pastor and kind of old (9 years older than me) but I didn't have much to do that summer and figured it'd be fun to go on a few dates. I thought we would casually date a couple of months, and then I'd go back to college. God said no! 2 weeks before school started, God led me to transfer to a college closer to home. The rest is history. I dated my friend's cousin until we married. I regularly attended the Church of God of Prophecy for those 2 years, and I can feel God laughing at me (well...with me) since I'm still out of my comfort zone in a Pentecostal church. Though I wouldn't change churches for anything. I love the people, the energy, the worship...all of it.

Since our wedding, I have been attending my husband's church...a small Church of God (I don't get the weird looks for saying "of Prophecy" anymore!). I'm still working on finding my "niche" of where I can best contribute, but as of right now I'm working with the kids. That's where my heart is and this is notes from my journey.

No comments: